I know, I know it has been a while but life got in the way. First the move to Illinois. My daughter and I stayed in New Jersey till the end of the school year and over the summer we flew back and forth. My husband had already started working in Chicago and we still had to sell the house in New Jersey. My goodness it was hard work to have it ready to show each day before 9 AM!! We had at least 100 viewings!!! It sold a couple of times but fell through each time, talking about stress!! At least we had THE buyer and we closed on October 1. While the movers were packing in NJ in August I got the news my dad had Alzheimer's and then the distance from the US to The Netherlands is big! We moved into our new home on August 18 and the next couple of weeks we were busy unpacking, settling in our daughter at her new school (she is doing great and her first report card shows only A's and she made the High Honor Roll!!!). Then we got another terrible phone call the first week of October when my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer and it was very aggressive. So I flew to The Netherlands for the 9 hour flight by myself and it was a very difficult trip. My dad had aged so much since I had seen him in the beginning of the year and was very ill. It was hard to say goodbye but I hoped to see him again in December. Only 3 weeks later I got the call he died peacefully with my sister and my aunt at his side. So again I had to fly to The Netherlands but this time my husband and daughter came with me. On November 2 we said our final goodbye to my dad and it is hard to know I don't have parents anymore. Anyway that is in a nutshell why I have been so quiet here.
I show you some photos of the fun trip my friend Katrina and I made the first weekend of October to Virginia Beach for the stitching retreat by Dyeing to Stitch. It was such a fun weekend with classes from the ladies from Blackbird Designs and Jeannette Douglas (who we discovered is Dutch as well so we talked a bit in Dutch to one another! LOL). It was the first time I had a class from her and I really enjoyed it. Of course Barb and Alma are a hoot and it was such fun to be in a class with them again. The best was to spend a few days again with Katrina!!!

Katrina stitching away at the beach in October!

Jeannette Douglas her class piece!

The needlebook from Blackbird Designs

The pincushion from Blackbird Designs

View from the hotel!

The exclusive project from the retreat. Shepherd's Bush, Charland Designs and R&R.
Next time I have to show you the wonderful package I got from Jill Rensel with my framed pieces and of course what I have been up to stitching wise. With all that happened in the last couple of months I haven't done as much though.

Me at the beach in Norfolk. I so enjoyed the warm weather in October!! Now I need to get ready for my 1st winter in Illinois :)
15 comments:
It was so good to see a post from you, Karin! You've been in my thoughts... I know how hard it is to adjust to life after losing a loved one. To add the move onto that--you must feel like you've been hit from every angle. Big hugs.
I loved the pics of your retreat with Katrina, and the pics of the two of you! ;) The projects look like fun!
Karin, so much has happened to you and your family in just a few short months. I hope you can have some you time now and settle in to your new house. My condolences again on your father -- it's so hard to lose a loved one.
Thanks for the pictures of Virginia Beach. It looks like it was such fun! What a pretty place to have the retreat too!
Great to see you back in blog-land. I am so lucky to have you in real life land too!
Oh Karin what a tough time of things you have had. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Love your stitching and pics. Congrats on the new move and hope things settle quickly for you. Take care. xx
I was happy to see your post Karin, welcome back to blogging. Thank you for sharing the snaps of the retreat. You and Katrina look like you were enjoying yourselves and the projects were great too.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad. It's been a very difficult time for you. I hope you're able to get settled in your new life in Chicago now.
You know how sorry I am about your dad! Lots of good thoughts and prayers.
As always, I had so much fun in Virginia and of course the best part was getting to spend time together :-).
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad {{{{Karen}}}}
Glad to hear you're all settled in and had a great time at the retreat, the project looks gorgeous.
Karin, you've been in my thoughts. What a few months it has been for you. Really enjoyed seeing the pics from the retreat and I know how much you'll have enjoyed spending time with Katrina!
Karin, I don't read blogs much but something just made me come look at this one today. So sorry about your dad. I know how hard it is. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Hi Karin,
First I want to give you my condolences on your father. It must be a difficult time for you.
Thanks for your kind words on my blog. It is a very busy time for us. A lot of cleaning, unpacking and more. But I enjoy every minute, since we moved to the USA.
Bye,
Natasja
(PS: je blog ziet er erg goed uit en ik ga je zeker volgen!)
I know I'm a bit late with reading this post, but I've been away from blogging myself for a little while.
It sounds like you are settling in well in Chicagoland. I hope you enjoy your first Chicago winter, and that the weather is friendly.
Hi Karin! Love your blog and glad to see you posted recently (come visit mine if you get a chance!). I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful and you have a relaxing day with your family! Maybe fit in some stitching? Hope to see you Tuesday night- take care!
Karin, so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mom in August to pancreatic cancer. I totally understand what you mean about being without parents.
Big Hugs!
Tracy
Wat een leuke spulletjes hebben de toch bij Blackbird design niet. Ook ik zou daar wel graag iets van willen maken, maar waar vindt jij je linnen en draad....Groetjes uit Virginia
Hi again- missed you Tues. night at Inspired Needle- hope to see you on the next one!
Post a Comment